Back Home

We’ve been gone for a couple of days attending an Irish wedding way up in the quiet town of Bonniconlon, far to the northwest of Dublin. The wedding, done in a true Irish Celtic style,* was wonderful, and the reception at the nearby town of Enniscrone, was also wonderful.

Driving almost 4 hours to Bonniconlon was an adventure by itself after we took a wrong turn at a roundabout, and our GPS navigation failed at one point. Then, as we got closer, we found ourselves driving through the highlands of West Ireland, literally through ancient lakes and mountain roads, and getting blocked by ornery sheep. All the while trying to reach the wedding on time after bad planning on my part. I’ll talk more about it, but for now, here’s a picture near Enniscrone I took while we drove back:

Sligo County, Ireland

If you click on the link, you can see the sign on the right which reads both Irish and English pointing to city of Sligo, or Sligeach in Irish.*

Also, here is a photo of some of the many, many cows we saw grazing all along Ireland:

Sligo County, Ireland 2

Anyways, I am just knackered*** so I’ll write more detail soon.

Namuamidabu

P.S. Near the end we were driving around the Ox Mountains. Someone took photos of the area, which look pretty similar to the views we saw. We also drove past Lough Talt, also mentioned on the same site.

* – This was quite a bit different than what Americans think of as “Celtic” culture by the way. I’ve been to an American “celtic” wedding once and the two have little in common. I’ll elaborate more on that in another upcoming post.

** – People in Ireland call Irish Gaelic just Irish.

*** – Irish slang for dead-tired, almost falling over.

A Buddhist, father and Japanophile / Koreaphile.
This entry was posted in Ireland, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Back Home

1. K says:

Glad you had an enjoyable time. Not to be pedantic but ‘knackered’ isn’t specifically Irish; it’s a common expression in the UK too. Same goes for ‘spitting’ (light rain) that you mentioned some time ago. Btw/ ‘knackered’ originally meant ‘killed’ as in when an animal was sent to the knackers yard … charming isn’t it?

Hope you get a good rest.

2. Gerald Ford says:

*sigh* stop being so pedantic. ;) Just kidding. I noticed that a fair amount of Irish slang seems to have derived from UK-english, but I haven’t figured out what exactly, so it’s good to know. Of course, like the UK, ‘lift’ is an elevator, and ‘tele’ is a TV. But I’ve heard some stuff that’s definitely Irish in origin, but i don’t understand well enough yet to post for now. Hopefully I’ll come up with a better list at some point. :)

3. Jeannie says:

Oh how pretty! I’d love to go with my aunt (the one that lives in Redmond, WA) someday. She’s into genealogy too and has a billion relatives from there.

P.S. My grandma is from England and she uses the word knackered too.

4. Marcus says:

Hi,

And of course the knackers yard isn’t just for any animal to be killed, but for horses who are so tired and worn out that they can no longer work – their bodies are then used to make glue etc – thus the expression.

And don’t forget that you also have a pair of knackers – if you are a fella that is! ;)

Oh, and it’s telly not ‘tele’, as in “what’s on the telly tonight?”

I see my twelve years teaching English hasn’t been wasted after all!

Cheers Gerald.

Marcus

5. Marcus says:

Me again!

Changing the subject a bit, you might find this interesting…..

All the best again,

Marcus

6. Gerald Ford says:

That’s pretty cool, Marcus. Thanks for sharing. I’d be curious to know how that poison actually works, but I’d love to see a study over the long-term how many people who were treated at that monastery stay off drugs for 5 years or more.

Definitely drugs are becoming a problem here in Ireland. People I know here who are older generation tell me that a lot has changed in 20 years, both negative and positive. The negative is overwhelmingly the increase of drug use.